Monday, October 10, 2011

Some much needed family time

This weekend was perfect. It was exactly the distraction/relaxation/release that I needed after these last couple of weeks.

I am so blessed to have such a wonderful, supportive, and loving family. They let me get out the tears that I desperately needed to get out, and they reminded me why I am happy being myself. It sounds awful, but I really needed to be reminded about the good in me. Mom, dad and the broski were just the people to pull me up and out of the funk I have been in.

I came back to school feeling refreshed and ready to start anew. This weekend is homecoming here at OU, and I am ready to live up my senior year. Let the fun begin!

Anywho, the majority of the weekend was spent doing all things Jewish. Friday night marked the beginning of Yom Kippur, one of the most important Jewish holidays of the year.

For the whole 24 hours (from sundown to sundown) we fast and spend the day in synagogue praying and repenting for our sins from the previous year. This year, I attempted to fast the whole time. I try every year, and I always end up caving. This year was no different.

My reasons for caving, though were different. It was that all-too-familiar empty feeling that I just didn't want to fall back into. Honestly, it scared me. And I didn't like that feeling again.

So, at 4:00 I made it home and started eating. And eating. And eating. And you know what? It was ok. I let myself, and I enjoyed it. So there!

I helped my dad set up the break fast. No, not breakfast. But breaking the fast. My family was hosting this year, so our rabbi and his family, and all of my parents temple friends came to our house after services to get their grub on. Check the spread:
All kinds of Jewish deli goodies: bagels, lox, egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, fruit salad, cous cous salad (we make salad out of anything) hummus, fancy bread, deli tray.
And, of course deserts: assorted muffins, ruggelah, "everything" cookies, and Mom's famous  french toast casserole.
Obviously, not too vegan friendly, but there were options. My plate consisted of cous cous (pareve!), hummus and lots of fresh fruit salad. x's 3. Delish!

It was a great family-filled day. Now, time to start fresh with the second half of the quarter.
Heeeere Weeeee Goooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment