Friday, September 9, 2011

The perfect formula

In my almost 6 months (!) being vegan and my 2 years being on-again-off-again vegetarian, I think I have mastered the art of the quick, healthy, and satisfying dinner for a college girl with an outrageously busy schedule. Here are the requirements that must be fulfilled to meet said perfection:

1) Must be able to be cooked and consumed within 30 min.

2) Must include a variety of veggies in a variety of colors (we do eat with our eyes first, after all).

3) Must include a whole grain and/or protein (depends on what I am feeling like and what the rest of my day has included, but it can't just be veggies).

4) Must be flavorful and exciting.

5) Must use minimal dishes.

6) Must have staying power. I don't want to be snacking an hour later.

7) Must be hot (ever since I can remember, I have prefered a cold lunch and a hot dinner. Just one of my quirks).

I know, I know. It's a lot of requirements. I'm a picky girl. I don't just settle... especially when it comes to dinner. But, like I said, I think I have perfected the process:

First step: stock up on lot's of veggies at the farmer's market over the weekend.
Remember, the Athens farmer's market is the biggest in southeastern Ohio.
My take this week included spaghetti quash, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, and carrots.

Second Step: cook a bunch of brown rice in my rice cooker at the beginning of the week, and store rice in fridge for use during the week.
My little baby. Makes life cooking rice so much easier.

Step 3: Actually cooking dinner.
  • Get home from class and meetings famished and tired. 
  • Put a pan on the burner and let it heat up.
  • Hack a hunk off of each of the veggies bought at the farmer's market and throw it in the pan. Add beans or tofu here if the mood strikes.
  • Season in whatever way strikes your fancy.
  • While veggies are cooking, nuke about half a cup of rice.
  • Plate rice with veggies.
  • ALWAYS top with sriracha and enjoy!
Simple. Hot. Delicious.
Like this one from Tuesday. Seasoned Italian-style. Check that steam.

And tonight's masterpiece. Indian-style: onion, carrot, zucchini, tomatoes, and some tofu thrown in seasoned with red pepper flakes and curry powder. Soooo goooood!
Enjoyed in my tiny kitchen while writing up this post!


Catch you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment