Monday, September 12, 2011

Starting the week fresh

Let me just say, I had a fantastic time this weekend! Going out Friday night was amazing, and I allowed myself to enjoy every second of it as it was it was happening. I wish I had taken pictures to share with you, but the wine was flowing faster than I could keep up with, and I soon forgot about documenting the night.
The girls I part-ayed with on Friday. This is from our trip to Granada while studying abroad. It was so good to get together with them again!
The one picture I did capture from the night: Miss Becca holding Val's roommate's pet rat. I still cannot fathom why this kid has rats, but Bec enjoyed it.

As I said, I did enjoy the night out with them as it was happening. I was supremely happy... until the next morning when I woke up complete hungover and bloated from everything I consumed the night before. And, I'm not just talking alcohol here. In true Spanish fashion, the drinks were paired with tapas (or little snackies to go along with it). Except, they weren't little for me. I gorged myself, and it seemed the more I drank, the more I ate. I'll spare you the details, but I am pretty sure that I ate more that night than I had the three days prior.

I had sort of expected this to happen as I went into the night, but I was more than disappointed in myself when I woke the next day. I couldn't help scolding myself for my lack of self-control, and I was upset for the majority of the morning (the hungover stomach-ache didn't help either). I hadn't binged like that in so long. I felt like I fell off the healthy-wagon.

Luckily though, I didn't allow myself to punish myself (too many myself's in one sentence, I know) throughout the next day. When my stomach felt better, I made sure I ate a healthy, balanced meal. I didn't over-restrict myself in order to make up for the over-consumption of the night before, and I am proud of myself for that.

The feelings of disappointment never manifested themselves in a physical way. But, I still was emotionally feeling the repercussions of the night before, and it was on my mind all day Saturday and into Sunday. I wish I knew how to keep myself from getting so upset by this. I wish I could stop silently obsessing about it, but I haven't figured that part out yet.
Any tips for beginning to get emotionally healthy?
I feel like I have taken a step or two backwards in my journey to forming a healthy relationship wit food.

*****
Anywho... On to a more fun topic...Breakfast!
I woke up this morning excited for breakfast. Actually, this happens to me most days. I would say breakfast is my favorite meal of the day because I love all of the delicious combination I create everyday. Today, was no different. Time for a new creation!

Since my decision to go vegan, I have never felt healthier. I don't feel deprived, and I would say I really don't miss nay of the animal products I gave up... except for one thing: non-fat PLAIN yogurt. I looove plain yogurt. The tangy, slightly-sour, creamy goodness that compliments fruit and cereal so beautifully. That's it. The one thing I have been missing.

So, when I saw this at the grocery store this week, I was more than excited to give it a try. 
(source)
I was hoping that the flavor would more closely echo the plain, dairy yogurt of my yesterdays. I have tried soy yogurt before and found it overly sweet, and in the fruit varieties, overly fruity. Well, I gave it a try with some delightful toppings:
1/2 cup soy yogurt, sprinkling of raw oats, half a gala apple, half a banana, strawberries, and some crunched up puffins in some gorgeous morning lighting.
all mixed messed up
I have to say, it was pretty tasty. However, it did not pass for my plain dairy yogurt. It was missing that tart, sourness that I loved so much. Thankfully, it wasn't overly sweet like I was fearing. With the toppings, I will have no problem finishing off the whole tub.

After this bowl though, I wasn't satisfied. I knew I had 2 hours of class and a trip to the gym ahead of me before I could eat anything else, and I just wasn't full enough to call that yogurt bowl a substantial breakfast. I supplemented with a bowl of cereal (rice krispies and corn chex with almond breezy), which was enough to tide me over until lunch.

I want to figure out how to make the yogurt more substantial so that it can constitute my whole break fast. Maybe if I add more raw oats it will have more staying power. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
How would you make the yogurt bowl more of a hefty meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment