Friday, September 16, 2011

Grading Scale

This morning, after a less-than-stellar workout, I tried something new that completely lifted my spirits (more on that later). As I was thinking about how I would write about that experience on here, I realized that my blog is lacking something oh-so-important. Have I forgotten all I have learned from the always efficient, organized, and never repetitive (more than a hint of sarcasm here) OU College of Ed?

I am moderately kidding, of course, I wouldn't be in my 4th year as an education student if I didn't like some parts of the college. But, in all seriousness, how could I have been so absent-minded? How can I fairly and accurately evaluate all of the things I am judging here on this blog with out a clearly outlined grading scale? DUH! I'm a teacher! Why didn't I think of this sooner?

So here is what I have come up with. I will use this scale to communicate my assessment of all of the work that my students have completed new experiences I have had, eats I have tried, and restaurants I have visited:

  • A: To receive an "A", means that this is something that far exceeded expectations: something I want to do again, something I want to eat/make again as soon as possible. (Casa Nueva gets an A, fo' sho'".
  • B: A grad of a "B" indicates that it exceeded expectations, but was not an overall perfect experience. I would do or eat this again, but I am not jumping in my boots to do it.
  • C: Met expectations, but did not exceed them. An average overall experience. The hunk would call this a "mehh" event.
  • D: A below average, slightly un-enjoyable time. Definitely not positive, but it didn't send me running for the hills.  

  • F: Something has to be pretty awful to receive an "F". I don't like the idea of failing students, but sometimes, you just have to do it. This would be an experience that made me cry, food that made me vomit (or almost) or a restaurant that I wouldn't send an enemy to.

Whew! The teacher in me feels much better and far more comfortable with my evaluation process here. Haha, wow, I am slightly embarrassed, but more so excited to have felt it necessary to outline this scale.

Now, for it's first application... My first OIAJ!
When I got back from the gym this morning, I was freeeezing! The temperatures have dropped here lately and it was only around 55 degrees when I was walking home. By the time I had thawed myself in the shower and gotten dressed, my stomach was yelling at me, "This mortal body grows week! I require sustainance!" (Random Thor quote. anyone?)

Because it was so cold, some delicious hot oats were in order. 
Yes I saved this last tablespoon of sunflower seed butter just for this even. The perfect amount waiting in the bottom of the bowl.
Topped with 1/4 rolled oats, 1/2 T of flax meal, half an organic apple, and copious amounts of cinnamon, then zapped in the microwave for 1:30. Yes, I know... stove-top oats are way better. But I'm in college people! I don't have the time or dedication to boil oats forever.  It is amazing the things you can cook in the microwave. Future blog post, maybe...
The finished product.
   I have to admit, I did have a bit of a mini catastrophe with the microondas. It turns out that the jar is a bit smaller than the mugs I usually cook my oats in. It ended in about 2 tablespoons of oats spilling onto the rotating plate in the microwave. Naturally, I scooped them back into the jar and ate them anyways. I wasn't going to let any of these babies go to waste.

On to the grading... this was delicious! I get it now: the ooey gooey sunflower seed butter that melted into the already delicious oats, and the warm spice of the cinnamon. I don't usually put nut butters on my oats, so it was a nice break from the norm. My mouth was pretty, darn happy. 
The last perfect bite: almost entirely sunflower butter with a delightful nugget of baked apple on top. Perfecto. 
 Overall, this is definitely something I would, and will, do again. I am going to try and make my won nut better this weekend, and the last bit will definitely be saved for OIAJ attempt 2. However, because of the snafoo in the microwave, I cannot give it an "A+". But, I am comfortable with the final grade I have decided upon, and this one gets a solid A-. This is not the oats fault, but my own. Now that I know about the jar-size discrepancy, I will be able to up the score next time. I am confident in that.

Do you ever grade things in your head? What are your criteria?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment